Thursday, February 7, 2008

An Orchestra I Call "My Room"

For this project, I experimented with sound through the use of Mic World, one of the Ixi Programs. These Ixi Programs manipulate and combine sounds through interactive means. With Mic World, the user is able to create loops of sound through the manipulation of 3d objects. This program contains several objects in a space alongwith a microphone. The 3d objects and the mic are created in a manner that is reminiscent of how planets appear in space.

First, the user has to import sounds into these 3d objects. Once this is done, you can move the microphone around the space. The closer the mic is to a 3d object, the louder the sound will be. The user also has the choice of placing the mic into an orbital path, which would mean that one would be able to rearrange the objects to create different combinations of sounds. It does not take a long time for one to get comfortable with the controls. Once you familiarize yourself with the interface of Mic World, you'll be on your way to creating some very interesting loops, some of which may cause one to feel rather dizzy.

My inspiration for these samples was that I wanted to create loops through sounds that I could record in my room. I recorded sounds of closets opening and closing, my keys, coins, a toy car, pillows, bag zippers, drawers, an alarm clock, glass bobble heads and many more. Since this project encourages us to experiment with various programs, I too wanted to experiment on the possibilities of creating rythmic loops through the use of simple objects that one would find in their rooms. After having completed several loops, some successful and some not, I learned that the origin of music is present everywhere.

Sample 1


Sample 2


Sample 3


Sample 4


Sample 5


Sample 6


Sample 7

No comments: