Thursday, March 6, 2008

Questionaire for Sound Class

1.What is your earliest memory of sound? How do you feel about it now?

I think that one of my earliest memory of sound would probably be connected to my earliest visual memory, which was when my dad bought me a red remote control truck. So, I guess one of my earliest memory of sound would have to be the my truck speeding along the hallways.

2. When do you notice your breath?

When I close my eyes.

3. What is attention?

Attention is choosing which information, that the senses collect, one should focus on.

4. Can you imagine composing or improvising a piece based on breath rhythms?

Sure, anyone can compose music with any kind of sound.

5. What sound reminds you of home?

Either the dogs barking or the constant reminder of my parents that "IT'S TIME TO EAT!!!"

6. Do you listen for sound in your dreams? What do you hear? How does it
affect you?


Actually, I've never thought of sound in my dreams. My dream's have always been a visual experience for me.

7. The distinguished historian, Wiliam H. McNeil, has recently argued in his
book Keeping Together in Time that "coordinated rhythmical activity is
fundamental to life in society."
Can you imagine tracking a rhythm pattern in your daily life and writing about
it?


Sure, I always have a "rhythmic pattern" for all my daily activities. I think everyone has one.

8. Can you imagine rhythm pattern for the rhythm circle with your own form of
notation?


Sure.

9. Can you imagine composing or improvising a piece for voices using attention
patterns?


Sure.

10. What is sound?

Sound is the information that our ears collect.

11. What is listening?

Listening is processing the sounds being heard.

12. What action(s) is usually synchronized with sound?

Dancing.

13. When do you feel sound in your body?

When I hear loud fast paced music.

14. What sound fascinates you?

The sound of crashing waves or simply just water flowing.

15. What is a soundscape?

The collection of sounds that create the environment.

16. What are you hearing right now? How is it changing?

The sounds the buzzing of the tower of the computer. It's not really changing.

17. How many sounds can you hear all at once?

Right now, around 8.

18. How far can you hear sounds?

Beats me.

19. Are you sure that you are hearing every thing that is to hear?

Nope.

20. What more could you hear if you had bigger ears? (or smaller)

I don't know if having bigger or smaller ears affect one's hearing capabilities. I think hearing different sounds is a reflection of what kind of environment a person has been exposed to. I would think that an individual who has grown up in a quiet farm would hear the busy sounds of a city better than an individual who has grown up in the city and vice versa.

21. Can you hear more sounds if you are quiet? How many more?

Right now, still about 8.

22. How long can you listen?

Probably half an hour before I start falling asleep.

23. When are you not listening?


When I have more important things to think about.

24. Can you not listen when something is sounding?

Yup, that's called hearing.

25. Try not listen to anything. What happens?

I start to think about not listening to any sound but the opposite happens. The more I think about not listening, the more I end up listening.

26. How can you not listen if your ears never close?

Because our brains prioritize what information is more important than others?

27. What meaning does any sound have for you?

Well, some sounds remind me of past memories but other sounds just do not mean anything for me.

28. What is favourite sound? How is it made? When can you hear it? Are you
hearing it now?


1 Ocean waves. 2 By the winds. 3 When I'm in the beach. 4. Nope.

29. What is the soundscape of the space you are now occupying?

It's very distracting because the noises that are being produced by the ventilation is annoying.

30. How is the soundscape shaped? or what makes a soundscape?

It's the elements of sound that create our environment.

31. What is the soundscape of your neighborhood?

It is mostly composed of the train passing by, cars driving by, people jogging and conversing with one another, birds chirping and the rustling of leaves on windy days.

32. What is the soundscape of your city?

It's a busy collection of mobile phones ringing; trains, busses and cars passing by; people talking on their phones; people walking quickly on hard floors; elevators going up and down; and an explosion of sound in food courts.

33. How many different soundscapes can you imagine?

Is it enough to say many?

34. What would you like to have in your own soundscape?

I would like peaceful, smooth and tranquil kinds of sounds such as flowing river, a gentle breeze, a dog or two, and the gentle rustling of leaves and grass.

35. What would you record to represent your soundscape?

Exactly what's written above.

36. What sound makes you speculative?


Unexpected bangs.

37. What sounds gives you chills?

Undetermined animal noises.

38. What sound ruffles your scalp?

Ruffles my scalp? None that I know of...yet.

39. What sound changes your breathing?

Any sounds that excite or scare me.

40. What sound would you like whispered in your ear?

The crashing of waves...if that's possible.

No comments: